Friday, December 10, 2010

The Jury of Her Peers & The Yellow Wallpaper

The Jury of Her Peers

The role of the woman in this story is one of not much power. At the beginning Mrs. Martha Hale is dragged out of her own kitched by her husband, Lewis Hale. Irony is a major theme in this story. Even though the men constanstly mock and belittle them, the woman unravel the true story of what happened. That is the key gothic element that I felt shaped this entire story.

The Yellow Wallpaper

Imprisonment is symbolized as a gothic element in this story and is shown through many parts of the story. The bars of the nursery windows serves as one of the main examples and gives the narrator a sense of imprisonment. Personification is also a key element with the Yellow Wallpaper that seem to come alive! Overall this was a GREAT short story and kept me attentive the entire time while reading it.

2 comments:

  1. The Jury of Her Peers is one of my favorite short stories because of the irony you speak of. My feminist literature class my freshman year broke down the entire story. I agree with you on how cool it is for these women to pretty much make a mockery of the male jury system and falsify evidence to protect their each other and to rid the pedestal they are placed on by society.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked The Yellow Wallpaper too! I thought it was really interesting how Gilman's life experiences come through in the story. It's kind of ironic that she is put in the nursery room at the same time that her husband speaks to her like a child.

    ReplyDelete