Monday, October 25, 2010

The Mortal Immortal

Science fiction is brought into play in Mary Shelley's short story "Mortal Immortal." What was impossible seemed possible in this story. Winzy, the main character, has fallen under a "spell" working with Corneilus, the mad scientist performing the experiements throughout the story. Winzy had many desires in life, including his desire to make his lover that ran away come back to him. Shelley made this possible with a love potion that would send her running back to his arms. As a result of Winzy's hope to cure his love, he becomes a "Mortal Immortal." As mentioned in class, it may be hard to trust the narrator because of some of the comments made such as being alive for 323 years. It is hard to tell what is real in this story and what to believe. This short story really threw me through a loop and really got me confused. I wasn't sure what happened to Winzy at the end of the story.

1 comment:

  1. I find the narrator to be unreliable as well since this story is somewhat on the edge of things. It is questionable and you just don't know what to believe and even until the end, I wasn't sure what really happened to Winzy either. I think this story is weird - I have to admit, it wasn't one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete